Saturday, February 28, 2009

Marley and My Tears

Yesterday night, we went to watch the new Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson movie, 'Marley & Me'. It was adapted from a book, and is about a couple adopting a very badly behaved dog that in turn taught them important values in life.

There were so many people who wanted to watch it yesterday. Like, insane amounts.. There were even people in the front rows. I felt so lucky to be cramping my neck in row 4 instead. Ha! Those row 1 suckers. Jen An better be grateful I'm sacrificing my neck for her.

The movie beings with Owen Wilson telling us how the story of Marley started. Flashback to years ago, on the day he got married to Jen An. Two forty-year-olds acting like two twenty-year-olds, but amazingly, Jen An actually looked the part. I really missed seeing her on the big screen. In fact, I think this is the first time I'm seeing her in the cinema, seeing how 'Friends' was on TV.

Owen gave Jen a yellow labrador puppy as a present, but they couldn't have chosen a worse one. Marley is completely out of control, wrecks havoc on their furniture, humps anything that moves (or doesn't move) and whines when he's left alone. The poor couple struggles hard to keep him tame, but to spectacular failure. But slowly and surely, Marley integrated himself as part of their chaotic lives, and the couple comes to enjoy his intefering, neurotic prescence.

The movie takes a darker turn after Jen got pregnant with her first baby, which turned out to be a still born. The emo-ness begins as Jen breaks down crying, hugging Marley's head. Marley, like other dogs, seem to have the ability to sense when their owners are sad, and will calm down sufficiently to provide an emotional support.

Jen eventually has another 2 babies, healthy boys this time. The exhaution of taking care of the 2 boys overwhelms her, and the tone of the movie gets really really serious and real. It gets worse when Marley eventually got too old, and had to be put to sleep. The entire cinema was sniffing as the beloved dog slowly slipped away, including myself. This is officially the first movie to make me cry. The entire time when Marley was dying, I was reminded of my own pet beagle. It wasn't made much better when the son said that when beagles die, they go away to do it.

I shed my first tear when Owen and Marley was at the vet, and Owen was desperately trying to convince the vet that Marley wasn't like other dogs and that he would pull through. The transparency that he was actually trying to convince himself made the scene excruciatingly painful. The saddest part was probably when the vet injected Marley to make him die. It was like she was pushing the needle into my own heart instead. Slowly, deliberately, irrecovably. I never cried so hard at a movie in my life, and probably never will. I've watched so many movies with people dying, but somehow I care less about them than I care about a dog. Probably because a dog is always pure, innocent and loving, while people are usually selfish and superficial.

"Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things- a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty."

John Grogan is a genius!

No comments: