Monday, February 9, 2009

Kawasaki Rose

I finally did it! I'm now officially a master of the Kawasaki Rose, the most beautiful origami rose out there. It was invented by Toshikazu Kawasaki, a Japanese (obviously) origami theorist. I initially didn't know there was such things as origami theorists. Apparantly they come up with mathematical theories.

Some things he did: He was the very first one to develop the technique of iso-area folding, which allows the folder to end up with each side of the paper displayed in equal amounts. (Don't know what that means.) He also discovered and proved that with any given flat point in an origami model, the sum of alternating angles is always equal to 180 degrees. (Don't know what that means either.)

The rose looks like this:


Beautiful isn't it? With it's beauty comes a price: an hour of creasing and un-creasing, plenty of swearing, plenty of valley folds and mountain folds, plenty of twisting here and there, plenty of paper wasted. But it was all worth it (I hope the tree Gods don't judge me) when I finally got the final product out. I was not able to take a photo of mine and post it up, cause my current phone's camera doesn't work. It basically looks like the one above, just that I tore a teeny little bit on one of the roses (which was where the swearing came in).

Maybe I shall sell that for my Valentine's Day event.. Heh..

No comments: