Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Official: Adam Lambert is Amazing

It's lucky Adam was so fantastic tonight on American Idol, or it would have been a very angry boy sitting here writing this now. Two hours of sitting though performances ranging from average (Megan's 'Put Your Record On') to the horrific (Nick/Norman's 'And I Am Telling You'), and I finally get to see the one I like. Adam has been given the coveted last spot (Danny 'My Wife Will Win This For Me' Gokey got the spot last week and got through), and so I had to endure all that bullshit before it came to him.

For this week, AI very intelligently scrapped the nonsense 'Interview with the parent' segment. It made the whole flow of the show, already slowed down by 4 judges (including an incoherent Paula), very awkward and tiresome. They've also tried to make it less predictable by (for the first time ever) having judges other than Randy begin the critique. It's obvious what the formula is (Randy first, then Kara, then Paula, then Simon, then repeat), but at least they're trying.

The more memorable ones this week include Kris Allen (sounds like a good name for a car brand), Nick/Norman (only because he ruined one of my favourite songs) and of course, Adam Lambert.

Adam sang a very original and upbeat version of Rolling Stone's 'Satisfaction', to very enthusiastic response from the judges. As usual, Simon was lukewarm (probably because he's jealous of the attention Adam's getting from Paula) while the others are more generous with their heaping of praise. Kara was very amazed by how wide his vocal range is; from river deep to mountain high (reference to song title is not intended), Paula was speechless (as usual) and Randy thinks he's a cross between Steven Tyler meets Fall Out Boy meets Robert Pattinson meets My Chemical Romance. I don't like Fall Out Boy and MCR, so I didn't really like that accessment. But whatever. He meant it as a compliment.

Ooh and Adam's a fan of the Twilight books. I would think it's chick lit, but since I already devoured the series, I won't talk.

I really really hope that wannabe comedian Nick/Norman doesn't make it though. The antics are not that interesting anymore, more like bordering on desperate. It's getting extremely irritating to see one of our favorites perform on the same stage as some flashy joker who doesn't take this seriously at all. Maybe Simon didn't speak on behalf of the entire America, but he definitely took the words right out of my mouth when he said 'I pray you do not go through to the next round."

My prediction for the top 3: Adam Lambert, Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta I initially thought Jasmine Murray might have a chance, but seeing how they heartlessly kicked out so many early favourites last week, I'm thinking Allison would have a better chance. Jasmine totally screwed herself up with Sara Bareilles' Love Song', while Allison drew comparisons to Kelly Clarkson with her rendition of Heart's 'Alone.'

To watch Adam Lambert, Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta singing tonight, click on the appropriate links.

Go Adam!

No comments: