Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ranking Obsessed

Back in the day, when I was convinced I wouldn't make it to a ranking-worthy school, the motto would be 'rankings are for suckers". I would launch into a spiel about how rankings does not affect the quality of the education, as some of the good professors that contribute to the high rankings can't teach well anyways.

All that has changed. Ranking. Is. God.

Granted, I still think rankings does not have a direct relationship with the education received, but the prestige that comes along with a highly ranked school can't be denied, either. When you go out working, people immediately recognize the more talked about schools, whereas a degree from some ulu college wouldn't be valued as much. Plus, there's always that thrill you can get when ranting off numbers, which is what I'm about to launch into.

So, according to the QS World Universities Rankings 2009, Purdue (the school I'm in. Ha!) is the top 87 school in the world. Fine, so NTU has a slightly higher ranking of 73, and NUS has an obscenely higher ranking of 30. That's alright and all, but in America, people think Singapore is a province of China, which defeats a lot of the purpose of having a well-ranked local U. It's amazing how these people can produce the top few colleges in the world.

Today is A-Levels results day, and I can barely wait to go to school and be a complete snarky bitch to my teachers. I didn't need their little predicted grades to make it after all. Stingy bastards.

Can you tell? I'm practically bursting with sunshine and positivity.

No comments: