Friday, March 19, 2010

GarageBand - God's Gift to Mac Users

As per tradition, my Dad would give a 'Going to College Present' to the child going to college. In my sister's time, eight whole years ago, she got a Toshiba laptop (one that I subsequently destroyed with misuse. I blame Toshiba for not making them more shock resistant.) I requested a MacBook, and after an IT-Fair, 1588 dollars and much drama at the stall with installing the casing, the MacBook was mine.

I am now the proud owner of the most wondrous laptop in the world. And the basis for that claim lies in GarageBand.

GarageBand is a program that allows the user to record instruments and voices, much like how a recording studio does it. You can edit and layer the vocals, upload mp3 instrumentals, give effects to the voices.. Best of all, the quality is so pristine and unspoiled. You can do the song in parts, and make changes to the places where you don't like. It gives you the freedom to be as perfectionist-ic as you want.

And so, hunched over my laptop and belting out tunes was what I spent the majority of my days doing. It was liberating to be able to experiment as much as possible - I could just delete that phrase if it was not done 'just right'. I can feel the Barbra in me emerging. Pity there isn't a sound engineer I could yell at.

Speaking of sound engineers. I'm so glad I wouldn't have to go back to that dim witted idiot we went to the other time. Instead of making our lives easier, he was forcing us to be the real producers, making us direct him through every last detail. I rarely make outlandish claims, being the humble, down to earth kinda guy that I am, but I very firmly believe that I'm doing a much better job than he ever did. Damian and I did a complex Mariah within 45 minutes, while a song with the 'real' engineer took an hour and a half.

The problem now with Mac is that it doesn't support a proper messenger. I'm being forced to install Windows XP alongside with my OS just so I can use a real MSN. For all their technical wizardry, you'd think the Apple folks would have figured out how to support web-cam in their Messengers.

I realized that I am sinking deeper and deeper into Apple-reliance. Makes it so much harder to curse their products if you're using it.

No comments: