Sunday, April 26, 2009

The last week of my 17th

"Who says you're only young once?"

That was the tagline for the Zac Efron movie, 17 again. How much I wish that was true.

It suddenly struck me, as I was absentmindedly flipping through my calendar (I do that sometimes to check if they misprinted the numbers), that I was down to my last year of being a child. When you're 18, you would be viewed as an adult by the world. Lord knows there's a whole contingent of above 18s who still act like they're 6 (just look at my school. You'd think it was a kindergarten), but the world doesn't care how you behave anymore, as long as you take responsibility for it. You even have to serve the full sentence for a crime that you commit (Not that I'm intending to commit a crime. Yet.).

There are days when I couldn't wait to grow up. I want to go out and experience the real world, not one where childish trifles and tutorials are one's main concerns. I want to be a driving force, a contribution to the world, not a child who is nagged at and reprimanded. I've even, in moments of insanity, wanted a child. I want to know what it's like to live. But then it hit me. My wish was coming true, and it's coming head on towards me at a breakneck speed. I'm only down to my last 7 days as a teenager now, and before I could blink, 17 would become just another number I have sailed pass, a childhood I could never reclaim would have slipped pass my fingers.

18 is a turning point for many. For some, it would be the age they're enrolled in national service, where they would be tortured for 2 years. For me, it would be the age that I leave for America to begin another life, one where the only one taking care of me is me. A life where I can do as I please, and answer to none. Up till recently, it is a dream that I could not wait to fulfill. But as the impending date draws nearer, I couldn't help but wonder, how will I do it? To be in charge of my own life, my own academic achievements, and consequently, my own career. I can't even begin to imagine supporting a family. Growing up suddenly doesn't seem so fun anymore.

I remember in a Harry Potter book, Hagrid said 'what will come will come, and we'll face it when it did.'. Granted, he was talking about Voldemort, but it's still applicable her.e Evil homicidal wizards don't exist in our world, but the trials and sufferings of life sure do. I dread what is to come, but there's no way I can prevent it.

People always say that they don't want to live a life of regret, but that's exactly how many end up living. Missed opportunities, wasted chances, forgotten dreams. I don't want that to be the caption to my life, so I'm going to hold on to my goals. It's going to be tough living in America, but it's gonna be even tougher if I don't get into the school I want. Hard work! I have to do it. I really must.

And I must watch 17 Again before I turn 18. Or I will regret for life that I can never be 17 again.


No comments: