Monday, June 21, 2010

What Do You See

Sweetest love, I want to know what you see
Does my every imperfection change what you think of me
Do your eyes take you beyond the insecure child
To the heart of mine that was deliriously beguiled
Would you turn away if my eyes met yours
Or would you expose the soul my gaze implores
And when you cast me aside would you become too blind
To notice how my twisted life's been horrifically maligned

My friend and confidant, do you see
It's a curious feeling to be selflessly supportive
I'm happy for you because that's what's expected of me
But have you sensed how deeply I've been poisoned by envy
I hate how my well-wishes sound falsely warm
How they always seem to conceal an introspective thorn
I hate how I can't be completely giving
And not succumb to jealousy from within

And what about you, dearest Mom and Dad
I've accomplished what you want, now aren't you glad
Am I becoming the son you've always envisioned
Never made a choice that invited your derision
I know you love who you think I am
But one day you'll learn some things we cannot plan
You watched me grow up but you cannot see
With my heart's deepest desire you would disagree

Carefree stranger, a moment of your time
When you first saw me - take a second to rewind
What did you think and how did you feel
Did I seem put together, were my faults concealed
What kind of vibes did I seem to transmit
Would I like who I encounter if I paid myself a visit
Is a reflection of my inner self the person you saw
Or do we all hide behind cultivated masks to keep them in awe


No comments: