Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Hug And A Kiss, Now Get The Hell Outta Here


This momentous morning marks the last time I'll be seeing my mom for the year. In fact, I'll only see both my parents again when I visit Singapore next year. It's slightly depressing to think about it, but everyone's gotta learn to depend on yourself sooner or later. To brave the exciting and perilous world, standing on your own two feet. And daddy's credit card in hand, of course. How are we going to conquer the world without a few creature comforts.

I don't think anyone's really good at saying goodbye. Not literally 'saying' it, of course. There are many wondrous and varied ways to play with the intonation and inflections. If you're really ambitious, you could even launch into a dramatic interpretive dance which comprehensively expresses your deepest sorrow. Even better, with the help of Google Translator (or, the 'So Long, Farewell' song from the Sound of Music), you can even be pretentiously knowlegeable and say goodbye in hundreds of languages.  (Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you ~)

My life has now certainly become much freer, and yet strangely more constricted too. The ever-present meals have to be prepared by myself now, and there wouldn't be anyone to make sure every aspect of my life is taken care of. Laundry, dishes, walking the dog, taking care of yourself.. It can be a pretty heavy burden to shoulder, and to know that I'll probably have to shoulder it for the next few years. Especially the taking care of myself part. I'm such a difficult person to 'take care of', I just know I'll come to despise this hateful employer of mine. 

"I want a chocolate shake!" 

"What am I, my servant? Go get my own damn chocolate shake!"

Goodness. I can just see the bipolar tendencies surfacing already. Soon I'll be sitting in a padded cell slapping my own hand. 

In non related news, I've been accepted to the Honors program at UW-Madison. This is an especially satisfying accomplishment, as it's the only time I've trusted my own gut, and sent in the essay my dad deemed 'completely off point' for the application. Thankfully, they've liked it enough to offer me a place, and the chance to tell Dad how right I was =)

No comments: