Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ditching A Job


So I've been working these days at an advertising firm. At the beginning, I honestly didn't know who we were working for, because they keep us in this little conference room, separated from the main office. On more than one occasion, I wondered if we were hired through illegal means, and that our presence should has to be kept a secret from the majority of the 'real employees' of the company. The 10-day-late paychecks didn't help matters either - it just fueled a desire to drown their laptops in the rooftop pond. 

Another thing not made explicitly clear to us was our job title. When friends asked me what I work as, I would hesitantly stutter a string of words that covered everything we did. As a result, I am now tentatively a 'website-content-uploading-editing-checking-coffee-making-copy-pasting-er'. It'll have to work for the time being, for I still don't have the real answer. Doesn't quite have the ring to it, but I figure if enough people start saying it, it'll catch on.

It used to be a riotously fun job, it really was. But, as all stories go, there's always bound to be one or two conservative prudes that ruin the orgy. (I'm testing out a new saying here, I'm not actually literally describing the situation at work. Like I said, if enough people start saying it...) In our case, it's the ones who are apparently allergic to laughter who's spoiling all the fun. I honestly don't see anything wrong with introducing a wee bit of life into the office. That grotesquely shaped face of hers could sure use a laugh or two to smooth-en it out. Not being judgmental with looks here, but I dare anyone to try recalling an attractive looking bitter bitch. Not easy, is it? The attitude really does reflect in one's features. 

So that, along with a couple more annoyances at work, combined with the effects of a mind-numbingly dull and repetitive job, is making me wanna quit soon. The pay is quite good for the kind of brainless copy-paste work we do - 7 per hour for 8 hours a day. But seeing how I've already accumulated enough money for my projected splurges, I'm no longer feeling the drive and motivation to crawl out of bed (trust me, at 7.45 in the morning, all I can manage is a crawl) day after day for this. 

Which brings us to my moral dilemma. By pulling out when things start looking tough, am I simply succumbing to pressure and becoming a 'quitter'? I never was so good with 'roughing it through', and quitting now would just feed this attitude. On the other hand, by getting out of this mundane work that offers zero job-satisfaction, am I not taking a stand against becoming a slave to money? By staying on, would I just be drilling into my subconscious that I'm someone who's willing to do anything in return for money? It does seem pointless to work and work to accumulate all that money, when you don't even have the time or energy left to enjoy it. I really don't want to spend my last two or three months of pre-college holidays at a unsatisfying job with grouches as colleagues. 

Funny how a simple question of 'to stay or not to stay' can turn into an epic battle between selling your freedom for monetary gain VS deep-rooted quitter attitudes. It really sucks to have a mind that second-guesses yourself - it's like having my own personal devil's advocate, living right here in my skull.

The only saving grace of this place is the chance to see my lovely friends on a daily basis again. I had really missed that when school officially ended. I guess I have it much better than a lot of other folks who have to bear with insufferable colleagues, cause at least I have close friends to shoulder it with. (I'm going to stop this 'my fwens are so cute and cuddly, I wuv my fwens' tirade now, I'm at risk of sounding icky and goosebump-inducing.) And yes, we do talk about them on MSN when we're sitting right next to each other. There's a strange sense of satisfaction you can get through talking behind someone's back - right in their faces.

No comments: