Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Of Dreams and Tea Leaves

He walked tentatively towards the shop-house, heart pounding ever slightly faster every time he took another step that brought him closer to the dinghy old shop. He hadn't wanted to come. In fact, he never thought he would ever be caught dead in a shop that advertises crystal balls, tarot cards and 'Wiccan' supplies. He didn't even know what 'Wiccan' meant. He was about to turn around and leave when Drew's voice rang clearly in his head again.

"You're obviously bothered by these dreams you're having. Go to her. I'm serious. It might just shed some light on why you can't have a good night's rest. My sister goes all the time and swears that she got answers."

He a deep breath and reached out a trembling hand to push the door open. It said 'Closed' on the sign hanging outside the door, but according to Drew's sister, 'Closed' was when the real good stuff happens.

He thought it was dark enough outside, but it was much worse inside. The only source of illumination was a single flickering candle at the far end of the room. The room smelt strongly of herbs and wood, a scent he found to be not entirely unpleasant. "Hello?" He whispered into the room.

"Gaaah!!" Someone had reached out a hand from behind and touched his shoulder. His heart gave a painful jolt as he shouted out in surprise.

"Gee, relax! I swear, guys are getting worse by the day." He whirled around to see where the voice had came from, and he yelped again when he saw a disembodied glowing head. Immediately he chided himself for behind stupid. It was a woman holding a candle to her face, and the darkness made it seem like she only had a head. It was only when he started feeling slightly faint did he realize that he had forgotten to breathe in all his excitement.

"I need to see Madame.. umm.. Rivi?" he inquired, inwardly praying that this attractive woman before him was her, and that he hadn't pronounced her name, Reve, wrongly.

"I'm her daughter" Damn. "Reh-vee saw that it was going to rain today, so she went home early to keep the laundry." Damn again. Wait, she saw it was going to rain? The forecast said it was gonna be a dry week!

"I guess I'll come back another day?" Askmetostayaskmetostayaskmetostay.

"Depends on if I'm able to help you. What do you need?" Yes!

"I've been having some weird dreams lately, and my friend's sister said that this was the place to go, so..." He looked at her to see if she kne what to do, while praying that she did. Now it he saw that it was a pretty twenty something year old helping him, he was much more eager to stay.

She gave a tinkering laugh. "Oh that. I can easily help you. Grow up with my mother and you'll know why. Tell her you dreamt of a crow and she'll tell you a relative is gonna die. Made it a little hard to tell her anything."

"And did a relative die?"

"Well, an uncle of her's had a heart attack but I'm sure it's just a coincidence." She caught the look on his face and burst out laughing again. "Sorry, I'm just kidding. Being a helper in such a store isn't the most exciting place to work."

He breathed out slowly. What am I getting myself into?

"Okay, so it's like this. I keep dreaming that I'm on a ship.."

"Wait. Sorry to interupt. A big one or just a boat?" She held up a hand as she inquired.

"A big one. One of those huge steel ships. My whole family was with me, and a few others I never saw before. There was also a tyrant. It's sort of like we were under his rule. My parents weren't, they were doing their own stuff, but a few of those others and I were."

"The sea. Was it choppy or calm?"

"Very very rough. At times it was like I was going to be thrown overboard."

"Hmm.. Okay. So this is my analysis. Generally, bodies of water represent your unconscious, your emotions and your accumulated soul experiences. The ship in your dream could represent you and the manner you navigate through your emotions. Am I making sense to you? Okay. Probably you have some issues that are unresolved? Also, usually we say that if the voyage is calm, you should go forward with your plans. However, if it is a very stormy voyage, get ready for an emotional upset or challenge. So if you have something planned for the future, be prepared to face up to many obstacles.

"What about the tyrant? Where does he fit into this?"

"The dream may be saying that you are being forced to do something against your will. The tyrant may represent the person or situation that is restricting your personal freedom. So by putting it together, I would say that you are going through a situation that you didn't necessarily want, and that you are worried about the outcome. Also, you might meet some obstacles along the way. By the way you are nodding, I assume I'm getting it right."

He gave a small laugh and nodded again. Drew's sister was right. It does yield results.

"That's all I have to ask, thank you." I hope it's not gonna cost a bomb.

"My pleasure. That would be fifty five dollars." Damn it.

Outside, the heavens parted as a heavy rain pounded down upon the sleeping city.
________________________________________________________________


No comments: