Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Devil Cubed


With the date of my departure drawing ever closer (24 days and 4 hours, it says on my countdown counter), my erratic thoughts and fantastical fears of the future, some leading to my castration and eventual hanging, keep me wide awake at night. It seems to my half-conscious mind that anything that could possibly go wrong, would. It's not a good way to spend 3 hours in the dead of night fidgeting and dreading the inevitable moment where terrorists hijack my plane, causing a pregnant lady to go into early labor, invoking widespread panic and stampedes on board. To top it off, my luggage is mistakenly dropped off midair. But it's alright, though. My dreams have given me sufficient practice to handle all sorts of situations. 

As per usual, whenever I'm faced with troubles and difficulties, I turn to the one source that I am absolutely certain would provide succinct and timely help - my trustly ole' tarot deck. 

I won't pretend to fully understand the tarot, or how and why it works. Swiss psychologist Carl Jung, the originator of the idea of 'synchronicity', believes that there is a governing force and interconnecting, seemingly random coincidences that permeates all things. He believes that the tarot card we select mirrors something inner that needs to be expressed or would manifest in the outer world, hence the symbolic power of tarot.The 'randomness' of divination is itself part of this process.

Commonly accepted as the most dangerous card of the deck is the Devil :




Just look at this ugly bastard and you'll know why. The Devil symbolizes all that is apparently 'bad' in a world, and it is our own inner Devil who is the cause of most of our problems. This card would appear when we are literally 'in the dark'. 

Get this - in a layout, this card reveals that you are bound by your fears, beliefs or situation that is unhealthy for you. It is time to question your beliefs, viewpoint and goals. Whose are they anyway - yours or someone else's assumptions? You are also living a lie about the current situation, and have to expect to fight against the temptations of materialism, power or self-deception. 

Pretty heavy stuff to be reading about, particularly when I'm already in such deep doubts about my future. It suggests that I'm somehow bound by old habits or addictions, and is letting my ego control my life. Also, that I feel unworthy of love. Well, ain't this interesting.

This card is bad enough to appear once, so imagine my dismay when it appeared THREE times in consecutive spreads. It got to a point where I was just shuffling the cards, and a card would pop out, and sure enough, it was ole' Devil winking up at me. Do I really have that much negativity in my life? The feeling that I can never have enough, or be enough - I honestly don't want to admit it, but my materialism might have been running out of control. Blowing $500 in 2 weeks is kinda extreme, even for me. 

The good news is, this is a symbolism of old habits and routines that have to give way for new ones that would undoubtedly come when I make my grand move to Madison.

No comments: