Monday, August 31, 2009

The Arrival of Whitney's New Album

Whitney's comeback has finally happened. After talking about it for years, that lazy girl (girl's stretching it a tad, but whoever said 45 year olds can't be called girls) FINALLY decides to get off her ass and head to the studio. Her first album in 7 years, titled I Look To You, is mostly filled with uptempo tracks about love and some mellower ones about how she overcame it all. "I crashed down, and I tumbled, but I did not crumble". Funny, you'd think she was talking about troubles that the world has dumped on her, and not ones that were self induced. But I'm pretty sure drug abuse falls under the second category.

The title track, I Look To You, written by child molester R Kelly, is one of the above mentioned 'I'm stronger than all that' songs. There's some of that famous falsetto, but it's quite obvious that her voice has significantly deteriorated. One of my personal favorites is Million Dollar Bill, contributed by Alicia Keys. It has some of that 80s feel to it, with an extremely catchy hook. Another one is Worth It, saying how when love brings you up when you're down, you know it'll all be worth it.

It's a nice enough effort at a comeback album, but there's no way this can beat Mariah's. Most of the songs in I Look To You are not very memorable, and the musical arrangement is average at best, nothing spectacular. Also, the tracks sound a little dated, and irrelevant. Whitney doesn't write nor produce her own songs, and it's quite obvious that her true personality does not shine through in her songs.

Enjoyable album, but Mariah's gonna win this one.

No comments: