Monday, January 26, 2009

Bull'dozing In The New Year

Here we are again. The season married people regret the day they said 'I Do', and children (and 40-year-old-virgins) rejoice. It's the most wonderful time of the year (not ripping-off the Christmas song), or the most ghastly, depending on which side of the ang-pow you're on. It's also the time of year when people think it's acceptable to wear bright red costumes and parade around, showing off their mandarin oranges. As for me, I always like to wear black to keep people grounded and remind them that there are still people struggling in the world. I see it as a selfless act of heroism, they see it as being rude. People...

So, as we are all aware, this year is the year of the Ox. Ironically enough, it's the year we're least likely to experience the same, economic-wise. People still like to remain hopeful, though. I really admire their spirit. It's like nothing can put a dent in their shield of eternal optimism. Can hardly blame them, though. Two shots of wine down and you can hardly feel anything, much less a dwindling figure in the stock markets.

My lunar new year, as always, involves plently of rented movies, chocolates, and strangers. On the eve of new year, my dad's PhD students would come have dinner (this year there's around 15 of them) 'cause they're from overseas and hence don't have a family to go back to. My mom would cook and we would all have a great time. My great time was spent apart from them, of course. While they were out in the living room drinking themselves silly, I would hide in the master bedroom to watch movies. I forgot to rent movies this year, so I watched Charlie's Angels for the tenth time, stuffing my face with chocolate truffles while admiring Cameron Diaz's perfect roundhouse kick. I then watched a little of Beyonce's wembley concert, but was interupted and had to walk the dog. By the time I got back, my sis and her fiance had hijacked the TV and were watching Rush Hour 2. Since I don't get to spend much time with them, I didn't insist on switching back to the concert and instead settled down with them to watch idiocy at its best.

My new year's day was pretty much similiar. My sis' fiance came over and we took our first annual-family-photo together. It does feel nice, having someone new around instead of the same boring four of us. It does get pretty monotonous when none of your other relatives are around. My ang-pow earnings, as a result, are always minimal.

We then went over to a family-friend's place for lunch, and my friend and I watched a total of 4 hours of Alias, 2 hours of Friends, and episode of Charmed and 1.5 hours of X Men 3. Thanks to the alcohol consumed at lunch (and while watching the shows) my head began to hurt a little, and by the time X Men 3 came on I was practically wishing for the annoying Professor X to get killed. But right after that there was a funeral and everyone was so sad, and that made me feel a little guilty for cursing their beloved old man to death.

So yeah.. That's what it's like on lunar new year for someone who's relatives are not in immediate proximity. For me, 'new year' is spelt b-o-r-i-n-g, but at least I still get to receive m-o-n-e-y. So apprecitate all your aunties and uncles, cousins and grandparents more, and love them doubly hard when you see them the next time. Yes, even the annoying one who pinches your cheek.

Happy new year!

No comments: