Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Greetings 2010

Every year, it's traditional for our family to produce a report of sorts to close family friends. If you've watched 'Friends', this would be our equivalent of the 'Gellar Yellar', except better written, because I'm the one who writes it. So here you have it:

To family and friends of the Zhangs family,

The whirlwind year of 2010 has almost drawn to a close and the wonderful holiday season of Christmas cheer is once again upon us. This is James, writing from Madison, Wisconsin, USA --- It is both a great pleasure and an honorable duty for me to wish everyone out there a truly joyous Christmas, and to duly report on the ins and outs, as well as ups and downs (mostly ups, though - this is Christmas, after all), of the Zhang family. 

Perhaps the most drastic change for our family this year is my moving to Wisconsin. A few colleges have extended their welcome to me, including Purdue University, where I was previously set on going. When the chance to attend the University of Wisconsin – Madison (College of Letters and Science) presented itself, however, I knew that the choice was clear. It was a chance to rediscover my family's history here in Madison, and to experience college life in my very birthplace. The transition was very smooth, and I have since settled into a very comfortable, if intellectually stimulating, environment.

Madison is really as picturesque as my parents have described it, with views of an endlessly expansive lakes on both sides of the city, and it is a welcome change from the concrete jungles of Singapore. They weren't kidding about the severe winters either – I've experienced my first blizzard, and it really taught me a thing or two about suiting up appropriately to combat snow. On the academic front, I am pursuing an Honors degree in Liberal Arts, with a major in Sociology that focuses on Criminal Justice. Some courses I have taken this semester includes Psychology and Shakespeare, with French, Criminal Justice and elective Theatre coming up in January.

I especially adore the close proximity to things I would once only hear of and dream about, like the broadway play Wicked, and I actually got the chance to see it while it was touring in Madison. I hesitantly opened my eyes to “Greek” life, expecting fraternities to be the stereotypically portrayed party-houses one would expect to see on TV, but had surprisingly found myself surrounded by gentlemen. With Pi Lambda Phi, the first non-sectarian fraternity founded, I have discovered a home away from home, and have made some truly sensible friends. I will not be able to return home for Christmas this year due to the time constrains of an extremely short winter break, and so I'll look forward to seeing everyone again back home in June.

The year has found Dad mostly in Beijing on academic sabbatical. Taking a well-deserved nine month break from his usual workload, Dad has been working on further expanding his horizons in China and garnering new inspirations for his future work. On the publishing side, 2010 has been an especially illustrious year for him: the 3-volume set of Nanostructured Thin Films and Coatings was published in June, and it can be found on Amazon.com. His 2008 textbook has now been adopted by five colleges in USA, and looks to be well on its way into every aspiring engineer's bookshelf. It has been translated into Chinese and published by China's Scientific Publisher in Oct this year. In addition to China, Dad has also ventured into Rome, Italy, and he's now apparently also an aspiring travel journalist. His literary notes on his various ventures and misadventures can be found right here, under each appropriate header.

Mom has been accompanying Dad on the trips around China since June, and the pair has had a real blast vacationing, returning to Singapore only in December. An especially significant event Mom had been awaiting– my Grandma's 80th birthday celebration – was held in September in Chongqing with much grandeur and tasteful fanfare, and was reputed to be a great success of a party. Other highlights of their six-month trip included the sharing of collective nostalgia in Xi'an at Dad’s Northeastern University “Class of Superalloys 77” Reunion, a trip to Sanya, Hainan Province, and satisfying their mountaineering aspirations at Huangshan. Mom's health, however, was not in tip-top condition as one would have liked, but was rather worrying during certain parts of the trip. The double-food-poisoning that plagued both Mom and Dad (after consuming some roadside-vendor chicken in Beijing) certainly didn't help matters. Fun was definitely had during the super-vacation, but I breathe easier now knowing they're both safe and resting in Singapore.

I am extremely proud to share the stellar academic achievements of my big sis, Jessica. After layers upon layers of examinations and interviews (with a final interview by the director of A*Star), she received a full scholarship from the Singapore government to pursue a Ph.D. Degree in Biomedical Engineering, started in July. Her intellect and pure drive has definitely paid off, and we couldn't be prouder of her. She has also recently become the mother of baby Chloe – a Holland Lop rabbit as a gift from boyfriend Dan. The baby rabbit seems to be getting along famously with Ovine, our beagle, and it does tickle me to hear of a rabbit-hunting-hound getting along with a rabbit.

The spirit of Christmas and familial warmth never abandons you, no matter which corner of the globe you're on. It is only after this separation from my family did I begin to sincerely appreciate the blessings of a home. The Christmas message I wish to convey this year is one of love – that love never takes a vacation (or a sabbatical), even if you're tens of thousands of miles away. Have a safe and memorable Christmas, and a blessed New Year.

Happy holidays,
James and the Zhangs

No comments: