Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bandslam is Slammin!

I never thought I'd actually say this, but I was wrong about Bandslam. I thought it was just gonna be another one of those typical teen flicks where they break out in song and dance and jiggle their problems away, ala High School Musical. I'm not gonna lie and pretend to hate HSM, when I really did enjoy the silliness of it all, but to set the record straight, I really thought Bandslam was better.

The story starts off with Will, this loser in life and looks (not to be superficial and judgmental, but you gotta believe me, this is NOT the face of a model to be), who feels so pressurized at his old school and town that he begs his mother to move to another state. At the new school, he meets two gorgeous girls who're determined to be his friend. A totally likely scenario of course. Well, duh, naturally the two most beautiful girls in school are gonna go for the new ugly loser. What, you thought they'd be interested in the actual good looking guys? Oh puhlease.

So anyways, after Charlotte(one of the hot girls) finds out about Will's vast musical knowledge, she makes him the manager of her band. He recruits a few more people and makes it into a really big nice band, and they want to join this competition, Bandslam. Apparently, the winner gets a real record deal, so I would assume that makes it a really big thing.

The way Will tells the story is mostly through letters to his idol, David Bowie. Its an interesting way to show how he interprets events in his deluded attempt to 'connect' with his favorite singer. As it turns out, the actions of Will's father impacted his life horribly, and the people in his previous town were all angry at him for it. The story follows the story of how he overcame the shadows of his father's actions, and how he proves to himself that he is better than that.

Lisa Kudrow gave a beautiful performance (of course she did, it's Phoebe Buffay, for the love of Oprah) as the mother troubled about her son's inability to fit in. The scene when she tells Charlotte to fuck off (obviously she didn't say that, but as a blogger I have my creative license okay) and stop bothering her son (cause of something horrid Charlotte did) was just perfect.

Overall verdict: Exceeded my expectations, but I was expecting pretty bad. Decent show, ain't gonna remember it by next week but it was still good fun.

No comments: