Thursday, July 16, 2009

I watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, nyah nyah nyah

I'm totally mature, as you can see.

Today's the release of the new Harry Potter movie, HP and the Half Blood Prince. About freaking time, I would say. Two years is a long long time to wait for a movie. Obviously, after two years of waiting around, you can't expect me to sit around and wait some more when Emma is waiting for me to go see her. Which is why Thursday afternoon found our class rushing to Orchard to see her (well, not totally her, of course. Prof McGonagall too. We don't forget our old darlings.)

And the show begins! Death Eaters flying around in puffs of black smoke (totally cool graphics, except I don't think that's how they really move around. I always had the impression that they rode donkeys) and destroying bridges; Diagon Alley... I don't know why, but I get this thrill of exhilaration as I watch the Dark Lord's underlings bring utter desolation upon England. Hopefully it's only cause I'm excited about the movie starting. I refuse to believe that I'm evil on the inside.

Helena Carter appears! Gosh I love her. She's Bellatrix (reminds me of a certain cereal), auntie of naughty boy Draco Malfoy. Her dark, lunatic, magnetic presence just fills the screen as she prances and slithers around, be it setting the Burrow on fire or wrecking the Great Hall.

Emma is turning out to be quite the lady! Who would have thought the brainy, bushy haired little girl could turn out to be the most beautiful one in the whole movie (and yes, Transformageeks. She's hotter than Megan-watch my boobs bounce in slow mo-Fox). Ginny Weasely practically looks like a troll next to her. And the 2 male leads. Gosh. Puberty wasn't kind, that's all I'll say.

Zam! Dumbledore is dead. Funny how I don't feel any remorse for him. Probably it's cause the actor is so un-dumbledorish that my mind just doesn't accept him as Dumbledore. Dumby's supposed to be whimsical, eccentric, benevolent, but this actor only portrayed him as a mean old bastard that deserves to be flung off a tower. If it had been Richard Harris playing him, I would surely and most definitely have burst out in fake tears (to make the people around me think I'm very in touch with my sensitive side).

The movie's duration is more than 2 hours, but somehow it didn't seem so long. This film meanders around at a more mellow pace than the previous Potter films, and it injects into it a dark sense of foreboding along with the blossoming relationships. What the movie didn't manage to do was to explain the subtleties for those who haven't been reading the books (I'm at a loss at why that is, seeing how it's practically a religious experience). It didn't explain why Snape's the half-blood Prince, nor did it explain much about Voldermort's choice in Horcruxes.

Overall verdict: It's Harry Potter, for the love of Oprah. Get your ass down to the nearest cinema and watch it, if not for Harry then at least for McGonagall.

No comments: