Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dear Friend,

I heard a story today. There was a psychologist who walked around a room holding up a glass of water, presenting it to the audience. The class was on stress management. The audience probably expected her to ask if they thought the water was "half empty" or "half full" (the right answer is that it is completely full, of course) but instead she asked how heavy did they think it was. The answers ranged from 8oz to 20oz.

The actual weight, she says, doesn't matter. "If I hold it for a minute, it’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn’t change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.” She continued, “The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything.”

All I thought about was how I would have just drank the water. 

With love,
Your friend

No comments: