Saturday, November 5, 2011

Therapists Are Wrong


My therapist said,
“What you think are your flaws
should in no way give you pause,
cause every insecurity there ever was
must be embraced because
- you see,
what we think is wrong in us;
the way you address stress and obsess
to impress and profess some finesse
you think you possess,
the way you cuss and mess
when you play love like it's chess
- it's no flaw, it's a strength!
You're not needy, you're passionate!
You obsess because you don't give in to fate!
No, no – it's not a debate.
I hate seeing you in this state,
You pay me an hourly rate to set you straight.
Your words merely don't translate,
it's him that can't appreciate.”

When I was younger
I was a victim of this exact delusion.
I lived under an illusion
That love has to be the conclusion
to any story – so imagine my confusion -
My shock when heartbreak would knock;
When I realized the only way to block
any hurt was to lock myself up, round the clock.
I can't even walk a few blocks
without having my heart crushed like chalk
by some cocky jock from Bangkok.
All along,
I thought they were in the wrong.
I told myself to bear the pain, to be strong,
sing another 'Fighter'-esq boy-bashing song.
A lifelong throng of 'run along', 'so long'
'One day I'll find someone with whom I belong',
But it wasn't long
Before I started turning introspective.
Who am I from their perspective?
Behind a facade deemed attractive
Were there native qualities so repulsive
that if they told me, I wouldn't even believe.
Am I supposed to keep going on,
basing all my dreams upon
some fantasy I've drawn with crayon,
that I'm in fact not some moron
with every shred of common sense foregone.
It finally dawned
That fawning over any brawn
Killed my ability to differentiate interest from a yawn.
Maybe it's my problem for blinding my own reason
with the weight of expectation,
for wanting heaven before date number seven,
for desiring so much that I completely lost touch
of the reality - that we live in a world
where things aren't just handed to us.
Where we're harassed in this circus
of vicious strangeness,
navigating without a compass
through this wondrous darkness.
When did life become a pursuit of ice-cream and orgasms,
where freedom gives way to outcomes of threesomes.
When we learn words like scrotum and condoms,
Does sex become the anthem we parade in our kingdoms?
I've heard it said that 'you deserve better',
but who's left behind, or does that even matter -
aren't we're all just picking up pieces the previous shattered?
It's not you, but it's also not all me,
we're all fucked up in ways we can't even see.
You're a dick of the highest degree
Yet I'm a dick for being your devotee.
Maybe one day we'd both agree
to cease this self inflicted murderous spree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not sure why... i was reminded of the movie i watched last month.. its a movie starring anne hathaway.. same date, different year, just abt them.