Monday, October 25, 2010

'Tis the Season to be [Retrospective and Insightful with a touch of Sardonicism]


Ah fall.. Probably my favorite season of the entire year, right behind Spring, Summer and Winter. There's this indescribable air of romantic atmosphere, as you watch leaves turn yellow and red in their suicidal efforts. The air's just the right blend of chilly and breezy, you can start wearing chic coats and boots without looking like a runway-reject, and you don't have to pile up that many layers 'till you start looking like you've never had an eating disorder in your life. Fallen leaves can be raked up and made into little soft mounds, where adorable teensy children can jump into the pile of dead leaf carnage and roll among the last reminders of the sacrificed.

Sacrifice - that's the beauty of trees shedding their leaves for winter. People always look upon winter with that disdainful air of contempt, scoffing about how the bare twigs of the trees give an impression of death and gloom, with their skeletal structures waving so feebly in the frigid air. I, of course, being much more insightful and wise-ified, see it as a symbol for what we all have to go through in life. The trees didn't shed their leaves to die in winter - they did it to live. In rough times, we shed what we don't need, with no regard to how it makes us look, and we toughen it out till we find solid footing. So rather than a sign of death, it's much more a symbol of perseverance, and doing whatever it takes to keep going on cause there are things in life worth fighting for. I don't know what the trees are fighting for, though. Perhaps there's a pension for those that live beyond 200, I dunno. 

People love it when the leaves change, but dislike the balding of the trees, something that inevitably follows. It's so typical of people, innit. They always want you to change, to be a certain way- listen more, dress this way, change that habit, develop this one, scream the right name in bed, all that- but refuse to handle what comes as a by-product of that change. Hasn't everyone had that "You wanted me to call more, which is why all my money went into paying for my phone bill, and hence I'm broke and left with having to substitute plastic wrap for condoms, and now that I've developed a cellophane fetish, you're leaving me?!" argument? No? Right, right, me neither. 

I may come to regret saying this now, but I'm quite excited for winter to come, bringing with it lots and lots of fluffy white snow to blanket the rooftop terrace. Imagine waking up to that. Sure it's gonna be so cold that I lose the use of some limbs, and I'll probably start cursing the goddamn snow after the 15th time I slip and bang my malfunctioning arm on the ground and it snaps clean off like an experiment with liquid nitrogen, and.. That's it, I'm on the next flight to the Maldives. 

- The lake frozen over in Madison -

No comments: