Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Kelly down. Next up: Celine

On April 27, I've finally fulfilled the long time dream of seeing a mega-singer in concert. Damian, Greg and I, armed with our $173 Premier Tickets (suck it, 60 dollar cheapos!) made our very hurried way to the Singapore Indoor Stadium at 7.40pm, and was guided through the very exclusive Premier Entrance (I'm trying to break the world record of the most uses of the word 'premier' in a sentence) by the Premier Ushers and shown our Premier Seats. The customary condescending-pitying-mirthful glance was tossed to those with less fortunate seats, and they reciprocated with a delicious aura of jealousy.

We settled down into our seats at row 8. The familiar tingling sensation creeped up my spine when I realized how close we were to the stage. Pleasant smiles to those walking by us to their even better seats, as I project hateful thoughts towards those sons-of-bitches.

Thankfully, there was no local band masquerading as the opening act. The lights went out, blanketing the 5000 strong audience in pitch darkness. Blaring drums started tapping out a deafening beat, and the crowd roared in pure ecstasy as the spotlight illuminated the original Idol.

'Tear up the photographs, bring yesterday back around.." Kelly opens the show with All I Ever Wanted, the title track off her latest CD, and the song the tour was named after. The atmosphere was frenzied and exhilarating, at least for the three of us. We bounced and fist bumped to every song, and sang along to Kelly's impeccably strong vocals.

Most of the songs in the setlist are from the newest album, and only 1 was from My December. The highest points in the show were the times when she encouraged audience participation. The crowd sang along to Breakaway, Because Of You, I Want You and Since U Been Gone, and the feeling was absolutely magical. My favourite moment was when she did an acoustic medley of songs not too familiar with the mainstream audience, but hardcore fans would know and love. Damian and I were almost the only ones who screamed in approval when she launched into Just Missed The Train and Addicted.

Kelly's artistry is apparent, and she did ingenious mash-ups of songs. Midway through If I Can't Have You, she incorporated Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head. She also did a mash-up of crowd favorite Use Somebody with Alanis Morrisette's That I Would Be Good.

My other favorite performance was Walk Away. It was towards the end of the show, and most of the crowd were already exhausted from all the jumping and screaming. The three of us, of course, remained high like we were on drugs. But when Walk Away started, the crowd all got on their feet again and the energy just skyrocketed. I now understand the appeal of familiar songs in a concert. People like rocking out to what they've been listening to for ages, and only a few would appreciate her branching out and doing interesting, though unfamiliar improvisations.

The final song of the night was My Life Would Suck Without You, and even the parent chaperons of the kids beside us stood up and bounced along to it. She performed a total of 20 songs, setlist as shown below.

  1. All I Ever Wanted
  2. Miss Independent
  3. I Do Not Hook Up
  4. Impossible
  5. That I Would Be Good (Alanis Morissette cover)/Use Somebody (Kings of Leon cover)
  6. Breakaway
  7. If I Can't Have You/Can't Get You Out of My Head (Kylie Minogue cover)
  8. Never Again
  9. Lies (The Black Keys cover)
  10. Acoustic Medley
    1. Just Missed The Train
    2. Low
    3. Addicted
    4. Gone
  11. Behind These Hazel Eyes (Acoustic)
  12. Save You
  13. I Want You
  14. Don't Let Me Stop You
  15. Because of You
  16. Walk Away
  17. Since U Been Gone

Encore:

  1. Already Gone
  2. Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes cover)
  3. My Life Would Suck Without You

No comments: